Welcome to Chrisbaby's blog!
My very 1st blog

Thursday, December 15, 2005
Today is play day for EY staff. Our department is having its annual industrial training which is held outside the office. During the day, we have training in Rumah University in University Malaya. I got lost at first in the UM campus looking for Rumah University. They say once you enter the UM premise you’ll be able to find directions to Rumah University but no signs are to be found. However, I manage to find my way there. UM is really huge. It’s like a city by itself.

In the morning, we have some talk on the property developer accounting standards and treatments then the new IFRS update. Then it’s lunch time. Some of my colleague drove out for lunch while me and another of my colleague ate at their canteen as we are too lazy to drive out. Furthermore it’s only an hour lunch. It will be a bit rush if we were to drive out for lunch and the parking in UM is limited.

After lunch we played some games. We are divided into 10 groups of 9. The games goes like this. Each group are given RM150. We are suppose to use the money to bid for the things available to us. The things that are up for auctions are straws, paper clips, matches, cotton, shredded paper, paper cups, newspapers, 1 foot of masking tape, 1 meter of strings, cardboard, plastic bag, 5 pairs of chopsticks, glue, pen knife, etc.

Each group is given 3 raw eggs. What we have to do is by using the RM150 given, we are suppose to bid for the items. There is not limited quantity in the number of stuffs bid as long as there is adequate resources i.e. RM150. What we suppose to do is to protect the egg using the bided items while it is dropped from 1 meter high by one of the manager.

To determine the winner, firstly, the egg dropped from 1 meter high must not break and secondly, see how much resources remains. The group with the unbroken egg and with the highest resources wins.

My group manages to bid for paper clips for RM5, straws for RM75 and cigarette box for RM30. What we did was we wrapped the egg using the straws and use the paper clips to clip the straws together and the cigarette box as the base. During the try out, the egg did not break. We were so happy but during the real competition, our egg broke. So sad.

The winner goes to the one who uses the cotton and glue. Simple yet effective and they have only utilized RM40 resources. What they did was they glue the cotton on the egg. Simple isn’t it?

After the games, we have an open session with the partner. All of us are given the chance to ask any question regarding the firm and the partner will answer them. This went on for an hour and it finishes at 5pm. We have free and easy till 7.30pm.

We have dinner at Tropicana Golf and Country Resort at 7.30pm. So we have to drive from UM to Tropicana. Once you enter Tropicana you will be able to see many bungalows along the way heading to the golf course. The bungalows are really huge and nice. Some of it looks like a castle. Too bad I can’t stop and take pictures because I’m driving there alone. But many of the bungalows are for sale / for let. If I have the time, I want to go there again to have a look at all the bungalows houses there.

The Tropicana golf club looks exclusive. Unlike my ex-Bukit Jalil Golf Club. The facilities offered are no special than the other club house. The ballroom where we are gonna have our dinner is ok. Not as high class as the ones in hotels. The food is ok. I didn’t eat much tho. They have some performance by the new comers and the newly promoted assistant managers and managers. It’s something like an orientation. I had mine last year in Bangkok. Then we have performance by our very own EY Idol. It’s hilarious. She sang It’s Raining Men and during the chorus, about 17 men went up the stage and walk like model as a backup dancers. Hahaha… It’s really hilarious. The EY Idol competition is tomorrow. She is representing our department to compete with other department tomorrow in Ernst & Young Annual Dinner & Dance. But too bad I can’t attend the annual dinner & dance because I’ll be going to Singapore tomorrow.

Towards the end of the dinner we exchange presents. Each of us brought a present costing RM5-RM10. I gave a water bottle bought from Careffour costing RM6.90 and I got Van Houtan chocolate but I exchange with my colleague because she don’t want the photo frame and I don’t fancy chocolate. So we did system barter. Hahaha… the photo frame is kinda cute. The dinner ends around 9.30pm.

I left that place sharp 9.30pm and I head on to SS2 to have supper with my dearie. I didn’t stay long in SS2 as it’s getting late. I left in an hours time.

When I reach home I’m so exhausted. Furthermore I still haven’t packed my clothes for Singapore which I’ll be leaving tomorrow at 7am. OMG. How to wake up that early? Even of I go to work I don’t wake up that early. Well, I guess I better do my packing now before I fell asleep.

My group's lovely egg wrap but fails in the end. Sob sob...

Dinner at Tropicana Golf Club with my juniors

My dept's EY Idol with all the handsome looking gentlemen

My Christmas gift exchanged from the dinner Posted by Picasa

Posted by Christina at 11:57 PM |

0 Comments: